T minus 12 days (plus or minus who knows)

The last move in date we discussed with the builder was Aug. 19th.  However, we’ve still been experiencing some glitches, so we’re not overly confident that we’ll make that date.

The biggest issue continues to be with the stone and stucco.  The stone has been very slow going with one guy doing most of the work.  Then when they finally started putting on the stucco color coat – it was the wrong color!  We were anticipating a light tan, but we ended up with yellow!  The small square is the sample board that the stucco company made for us months ago. old stucco

Luckily the stucco manufacturer and stucco contractor agreed with us that the color was way off, so they agreed to have the color remixed.  Unfortunately it took a day and a half to custom mix the color and then the main stucco applicator had a family emergency, so we’re running way behind again.  This is a big problem because a lot of exterior tasks can’t be done until stone and stucco is complete.

Here is the new stucco color.  It still ended up a little more golden or clay (depending on the light) than taupey, but it’s not bright yellow as it was before and we think it pulls all the colors together nicely.new stucco

At least inside we’ve had lots going on … light fixtures, sinks, cabinet doors/drawers/hardware, mirrors, backsplash tile, and appliances.

Almost every contractor has to come back to finish up a couple of things, so there’s always a lot going on.  The trim carpenter is finally putting up the living room beams and the stair iron balusters, which is very exciting to see.

Now if we can keep the afternoon storms away so all the exterior work can be completed.  We almost got the driveway pour finished before a big storm last week.

Good thing I invested in some good mud boots!

Hopefully our next post will have good news on our move in date!

Advertisements

Trim, Paint, and Stone!

A lot has been going on in the two weeks since the last house blog post.  The yard usually looks like a parking lot, which makes us happy to see lots of different contractors working!parking lotThe trim carpenter worked for about three weeks installing cabinets and all the baseboards, door casings, crown mouldings, and trim around windows.  He also is working on our stair railing.  We had planned on using iron balusters and newel posts, but some structural beams ended up in the way and we had to switch to wood newel posts.  Here we are in the middle of making the switch.  The end caps are hickory to match the floor.  The risers will be painted white to match the baseboards.  The middle will be carpeted.  The iron balusters will go in after the handrail and newels are stained.iron or woodOnce all the trim was in, it was time for the painters.  As any of you that have done any painting in your house can relate, it took days of prepping first.  Every nail hole the trim carpenter made had to be filled and sanded, etc.  And then everything had to be masked, multiple times, as they stained and painted.  The interior paint we selected is Benjamin Moore’s Pale Oak, which is a light greige color.  When we compared it to other greige paints it seemed light gray.  Now that it’s by itself on the walls it seems a little more beige.  But it definitely changes colors depending on the lighting and surroundings.  Should make decorating interesting!

Here’s the living room with a preview of the stonework.  You have to look down to the baseboard at the bottom left to even see that the wall is not white.  We wanted something light and airy, so we’re pretty pleased with how it turned out.paint lrSo yep, they finally started on the stone and stucco!  We have somewhat of a skeleton crew, so it will be a while until it’s done.

The brown coat has to cure for seven days, so they plan to start applying the colored stucco next Monday.  We are very excited to see all the color choices that we’ve I’ve agonized over coming together!

We actually have taken some of the painting over ourselves.  Partly to help out with the schedule and partly because we weren’t sure the painter was going to be able to realize our vision.  So we’re staining the living room beams and front door.  We worked on the beams this weekend and we started the front door today.

Beams drying in the master bedroom after being stained.

Beams drying in the master bedroom after being stained.

Here's what the beams looked like before staining.

Here’s what the beams looked like before staining.

All this work has made me strong!carry beamDon’t be too impressed!  These are actually faux beams made of polyurethane!

Tomorrow the electricians begin with their finish work.  Can’t wait to see light fixtures going up!